Thursday, July 2, 2009

Steamboat!

My favourite! Had a great steamboat at Seah Street at this outlet known as Viet Con. Thought it was opened by Vietnamese folks but I was mistaken! Opened by locals who may just prefer the interesting name.

The eatery is 69 yrs old! It is staffed by folks who are almost as old I think..but the uncles & aunties are very nice & they serve really home style food. What does this mean? This means that the food is msg free, fuss free & authentic. The fish for example is of a good grade totally unlike the fish offered at many fish soup stalls or steamboat buffets. The three prawns too are fresh and relatively big. Best of all, they have already been shelled. Although the food may not be restaurant style, the 'genuine' offering won me over.

If you are thinking that prices must surely be high for the 'genuine' food, you will be in for a pleasant surprise. A small plate of chicken and the steamboat only set us back by $22.80 for 2. Oh, and did I mention that the eatery is air-conditioned? Indeed, I am sure I will be back for a repeat visit. :)

No comments: